Show Launch Information
As one show finishes, ELOC prepares for the next. The production team and committee have already been working hard for the launch of one of the most famous rock operas of all time....
Here are some important dates for your diary if you want to be part of our next production:
- Show Dates: Tuesday 15th - Saturday 19th October 2019
- Show Launch Date and movement workshop: Monday 13th May 2019
- Pre-audition Rehearsals: Monday 20th and Wednesday 22nd May 2019
- Audition Date: Sunday 26th May 2019 (with additional/overflow date on (bank hol) Monday 27th May 2019) Click here to find out more about auditions.
- Further Info: Do check out James Fortune’s website, where you will already be able to see some key information about the show! https://www.jamesfortune.co.uk/jesus-christ-superstar/
Jesus Christ Superstar tells the story of biblical Jesus in the final days leading up to his crucifixion. Written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, the musical has no spoken dialogue and is sometimes considered a modern rock-opera. Loosely based on the Gospels, Superstar focuses on the personal conflicts between Jesus, his disciples, the people of Israel, and the leadership of Rome. Special attention is played to the relationship between Judas Iscariot and Jesus, as well as Jesus’s relationship with Mary Magdalene. The musical is unique among biblical retellings in that it focuses on both Judas’s struggle making the decision to betray Jesus and Jesus’s human psychology, fear, and anger in understanding and accepting his role as both leader and martyr. The show is a product of its era, permeated with 1970’s rock, gospel, folk and funk themes, language and colloquialisms of the time, and high-energy dance numbers.
Please check out our 'About the Show' page for all further information.